Grant Coordinator [PDF] – deadline to apply: September 7, 2018
Position: Grant Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director
Date Posted: August 2018
Do you have strong relationship building skills and the ability to make strategic connections?
Would you like to fund programs that make a difference for vulnerable Calgarians?
Do you have a strong understanding of the granting process?
If so, Calgary Learns is looking for you to join our small yet nimble team as a Grant Coordinator.
Calgary Learns is a granting agency that supports foundational learning for adults in Calgary. We make community-based learning accessible, and promote the value of learning for adults who are developing their essential skills and literacy. Funded from Alberta Advanced Education’s Community Adult Learning Program (CALP), we strive to build capacity in local non-profits that provide learning opportunities for adult foundational level learners through:
- Providing program grants to local non-profit organizations
- Supporting professional development opportunities for staff working with adults at the foundational learning level
The Grant Coordinator will:
- Coordinate the yearly granting process for Calgary Learns, which includes grants for Adult Literacy, Essential Skills, Initiatives, Immigrant Serving and Indigenous programs. This process encompasses the creation of RFPs, reports, relevant documentation necessary for grantees to collect, monitoring the allocation of CALP grant funds and the evaluation of our process
- Provide overall support during the grant application process specifically for Adult Literacy, Essential Skills and Initiative grants. This includes assisting the applicant with proposal pre-screens, recruiting external grant reviewers, reviewing proposals and program budgets, ensuring proposals match the mandate of Advanced Education’s CALP funding and preparing a summary of recommendations for the Calgary Learns’ Board
- Monitor funded programs: develop relationship with key program leaders, conduct site visits and coordinator interviews, review final reports and summarize key trends in the field
- Assist in the preparation and presentation of a variety of reports and materials including coordination of the CALP final report
- Conduct periodic scans to identify initiatives and resources relevant to Calgary Learns’ work. This could entail web searches, interviews with key stakeholders, etc.
- Represent Calgary Learns on community tables and events as required
- Assist with special projects and additional duties as assigned by the Executive Director
Required Expertise and Skills
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Superior inter-personal communication skills and a facilitative, empathetic style in dealing with applicants and grantees (face-to-face, by phone or via email)
- Ability to establish long-term, collaborative relationships internally and in the community
- Ability to analyse budgets
- Proactive and resourceful
- Works well independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to manage and allocate time and financial resources effectively
- Project management experience including program analysis, monitoring and evaluation and financial tracking
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to synthesize information and prepare clear reports
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a broad range of stakeholders
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Education and Experience
- 7 or more years of related experience. Work in the following areas would be considered a strong asset:
- Adult programming, especially at the foundational level
- Program Coordination
- A university or college degree in community development, social services or education is preferred. Experience may be considered as equivalent.
Deadline to Apply: September 7, 2018 or until suitable candidate is found
To apply, forward resume and covering letter with salary range expectations by e-mail to:
Nancy Purdy, Executive Director: email@example.com
Please use the subject line “Grant Coordinator”
Thank you in advance for your interest and effort in applying. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.