Calgary Learns is the Community Adult Learning Program (CALP) granting council for Calgary. The Ministry of Advanced Education funds CALP, which supports over 100 community-based learning organizations in Alberta who provide Adult Literacy and Foundational Learning opportunities to financially and socially barriered adult learners (18+).
Calgary Learns administers CALP funding through a competitive granting program for local learning opportunities that support Literacy and Foundational Learning (LFL: adult literacy, English language learning, numeracy, basic digital skills, foundational life skills) and Community Capacity Building (CCB).
All grants from Calgary Learns are awarded to programs or initiatives that focus on delivering foundational literacy and learning content designed to meet the learning needs of adult foundational learners. Calgary Learns supports adult learning models that:
- Provide a holistic, learner-centred approach
- Incorporate recognized adult learning principles, including the enhancement of learner self-esteem and self-advocacy skills
- Integrate basic literacy and essential skills development into areas of high-interest to adults
- Provide pathways for learners to transition successfully from and to related programs or next steps (for example to employment or further learning)
- Attend to diversity and the meaningful participation of marginalized adults
- Incorporate Indigenous models and perspectives when serving Indigenous learners, embedding foundational learning in culture
Each application will fall under one of the four funding streams:
Currently funded programs will be emailed their 2020-21 applications.
If you are applying as a new organization to Calgary Learns or are a currently funded organization with a new program to Calgary Learns, we want to connect with you prior to sending you the relevant application. Please contact the Grant Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange a phone conversation to discuss:
- How your organization and program meet all eligibility requirements
- The proposed program description and how it focuses on delivering foundational literacy and learning content designed to meet the learning needs of foundational learners
Read the Call For Applications (below) to find out more information about
- Application Eligibility
- Eligible CALP Areas and Categories
- Eligible Program Delivery Methods
- How to Apply
- Granting Process
- Successful Applicant Responsibilities
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
- Program Grants are given to local part-time programs who focus on delivering foundational literacy and learning content designed to meet the learning needs of adults learning at a foundational level: 2021-2022 Program Grant Call For Applications
- Initiative Grants are one-time grants up to $25,000 that provide an opportunity for a non-profit organization to innovate and/or strengthen their ability to meet the foundational learnings needs of foundational learners. The 2021-22 Initiative Grant Call For Applications will be available in the Spring of 2021.
- Indigenous Program Grants are given to local part-time programs who focus on delivering foundational literacy and learning content designed to meet the learning needs of Indigenous adults learning at a foundational level: 2021-2022 Indigenous Program Grant Call For Applications
- Indigenous Initiative Grants are one-time grants up to $25,000 that provide an opportunity for a non-profit organization to innovate and/or strengthen their ability to meet the foundational learnings needs of foundational learners: 2021-2022 Indigenous Initiative Grant Call For Applications
FUNDING DOCUMENTS, INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
- Program Application (sample)
- Indigenous Program Application (sample)
- Indigenous Initiative Application (sample)
- Budget Template
- Multi Program Form
- CALP Data Collection Guide
Our Grant Coordinator is always happy to talk to you. Please contact email@example.com with any questions, comments, concerns, or to discuss your application.
For timely notice of all Calgary Learns funding opportunities, sign up for our newsletter.