Calgary Learns is the Community Adult Learning Program (CALP) granting council for Calgary. The Ministry of Advanced Education funds CALP, which supports over 100 community-based learning organizations in Alberta who provide Adult Literacy and Foundational Learning opportunities to financially and socially barriered adult learners (18+).
Calgary Learns administers CALP funding through a competitive granting program for local learning opportunities that support Literacy and Foundational Learning (LFL: adult literacy, English language learning, numeracy, basic digital skills, skills for learning) and Community Capacity Building (CCB).
All grants from Calgary Learns are awarded to programs or initiatives that focus on delivering foundational literacy and learning content designed to meet the learning needs of adult foundational learners. Calgary Learns supports adult learning models that:
- Provide a holistic, learner-centred approach
- Incorporate recognized adult learning principles, including the enhancement of learner self-esteem and self-advocacy skills
- Integrate basic literacy and essential skills development into areas of high-interest to adults
- Provide pathways for learners to transition successfully from and to related programs or next steps (for example to employment or further learning)
- Attend to diversity and the meaningful participation of marginalized adults
- Incorporate Indigenous models and perspectives when serving Indigenous learners, embedding foundational learning in culture
Each application will fall under one of the four funding streams:
Currently funded programs will be emailed their 2020-21 applications.
If you are applying as a new organization to Calgary Learns or are a currently funded organization with a new program to Calgary Learns, we want to connect with you prior to sending you the relevant application. Please contact the Grant Coordinator (email@example.com) to arrange a phone conversation to discuss:
- How your organization and program meet all eligibility requirements
- The proposed program description and how it focuses on delivering foundational literacy and learning content designed to meet the learning needs of foundational learners
Read the Call For Applications (below) to find out more information about
- Application Eligibility
- Eligible CALP Areas and Categories
- Eligible Program Delivery Methods
- How to Apply
- Granting Process
- Successful Applicant Responsibilities
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
2021-22 Initiative Grant: Calgary Learns is seeking initiative applications to respond to current gaps in programming and meet the foundational learning needs for adults in Calgary. Many gaps were highlighted in the Calgary Learns 2019 Needs Assessment and further gaps emerged following the closure of a number of literacy, numeracy and basic digital skills programs this past year. The pandemic has further emphasized the necessity of basic digital skills and Calgary’s need for relevant programming. For more information and to find out how to apply, please check the Initiative Grant Call for Applications. Application deadline = June 1, 2021
2021-22 Disability Program and Initiative Grant: Calgary Learns is seeking program and initiative applications due to the closure of a number of adult foundational learning programs designed to serve foundational learning needs of adults with disabilities. There is now a community need for new purpose-built programs that provide basic literacy and foundational skills for adults with disabilities. Calgary Learns has consulted with the disability and literacy community and as a result is facilitating this call for proposals for programs and initiative projects to serve the literacy and foundational needs of adults with disabilities, operating July 1, 2021-June 30, 2022. For more information and to find out how to apply, please check the Disability Program and Initiative Grant Call for Applications. Application deadline = May 15, 2021.
- Program Grants are given to local part-time programs who focus on delivering foundational literacy and learning content designed to meet the learning needs of adults learning at a foundational level: 2021-2022 Program Grant Call For Applications. [this call is closed]
- Indigenous Program Grants are given to local part-time programs who focus on delivering foundational literacy and learning content designed to meet the learning needs of Indigenous adults learning at a foundational level: 2021-2022 Indigenous Program Grant Call For Applications [this call is closed]
- Indigenous Initiative Grants are one-time grants up to $25,000 that provide an opportunity for a non-profit organization to innovate and/or strengthen their ability to meet the foundational learnings needs of foundational learners: 2021-2022 Indigenous Initiative Grant Call For Applications. [this call is closed]
FUNDING DOCUMENTS, INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
- Program Application (sample)
- Indigenous Program Application (sample)
- Indigenous Initiative Application (sample)
- Final Reports for
- Multi Program Form
- CALP Data Collection Guide
Our Grant Coordinator is always happy to talk to you. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, comments, concerns, or to discuss your application.
For timely notice of all Calgary Learns funding opportunities, sign up for our newsletter.